|Photo Credit: Renee Marchol's Kitchen Salmon|
|Photo Credit: Sashimi Salmon Image by Creative Commons Flickr Boo_licious|
At Vons in Santa Monica, I purchased fresh salmon for $7.99 per pound today. I only bought two servings because of my budget. I wanted to feed my husband some healthy omega-3 fatty acids to start the week. Thankfully the best deals seem to be on Sunday mornings. I know this Vons receives some unfavorable reviews on Yelp because of its run-down location. However, the staff are helpful and they keep the store clean.
My fresh salmon with a light, sweet ginger soy, smells like warm maple syrup and pancakes according to Nik.
Easy Healthy Salmon Recipe
1/4 tsp crushed organic ginger
1 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup white sugar or 3 TB honey or other sweetener
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 TB unsalted butter (optional)
2 servings salmon filet with skin
1. Place salmon skin side down in a skillet with olive oil, green onions and browned butter.
2. Cover fish with lid of skillet and cook on medium high for 10 minutes.
3. Mix sweetener, ginger and soy sauce in a measuring cup. Pour 1/2 over fish. Turn down heat for 15 minutes and keep covered.
4. Flip fish so that skin side is up. Pour remaining sauce.
5. Check to make sure the sweet sauce does not burn. Cook for another 5 minutes until fish flakes easily.
Serve with brown rice, polenta or greens!